📺 Watch this episode on YouTube.
Skype’s new design makes waves around the Internet. Here we look into what are the reasons for redesigning applications and why this can go wrong.
- Not invented here now in English 🇬🇧
- The Verge: Everyone seems to hate the new Skype
- Why go through a redesign:
- Keep up with times, when platform guidelines change or new design ideas come into fashion
- Rethink UX to make room for new features and functions
- Give a face to under the hood updates
- Why redesigns fail: with redesign there two groups of users that have vastly different interests that are difficult to balance
- Those who have history with an app and expect to be able to continue leveraging their previous knowledge of the app
- Those who look at the app with fresh set of eyes and compare it with competitors
- With Skype Microsoft already backtracked some of the changes
- Microsoft had already pulled successful redesigns in the past: new ribbon UI in Office 2017